Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lazy Scones

So do you ever site there thinking "Man I could go for a spot of afternoon tea right now, if only scones didn't take so long make." All the time right? Me too! Well as a lazy lady who loves cream tea I got to thinking the other day, what about Bisquick? The English scone more closely resembles what my American chums call biscuits than scones more often than not, so logic followed that if I were to mix up a batch of Bisquick, throw in some raisins I should have a passable scone!

Now I can see my hopes for a knighthood sliping away as I type, and Bettie's tearoom isn't going to go out of business anytime soon, but my Bisquick scones were pretty darn good for throwing something from a box into a bowl with some milk!

To make Follow the biscuit/dumpling recipe...

  1. 2 1/4 cups Bisquick
  2. 2/3 cups Milk
  3. 1/2 cup raisins
  4. 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
  • Mix Bisquick, raisins and milk in a large bowl till combined (and 1/4 cup sugar if you like em sweeter)
  • Kneed dough about 10 times on a Bisquick dusted surface
  • Roll out to about 1/2" thick
  • Cut into 2"-3" rounds (or something prettier)
  • Brush a little milk over the top and sprinkle with sugar (optional)
  • Bake for 8-10 mins at 450F or till golden brown
Let them cool down a bit, cut them in half, add a generous helping of clotted cream and jam, eat them with a pot of your favorite tea and voila cream tea in minutes! For those looking for a good English scone recipe, this old Be-Ro recipe has been the one we used to make growing up.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, these look awesome! Definitely going to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good idea! I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh.. they looook soooo goooooood! I will have to try these! : )

    ReplyDelete

 

Based on layout and code by Lena